Sir Ian McKellan evidently didn’t get the memo that filming of The Hobbit films had been delayed for 5 weeks, due to Sir Peter Jackson‘s emergency perforated ulcer operation. Sir Peter was advised by doctors to spend five weeks in recovery from his Op. Well Sir Ian’s already back in Middle Earth.
Says, the rogue, character actor of the UK on his… blog (what else?)…
“A wizard is never late: but I hadn’t intended last Thursday to arrive in Wellington for The Hobbit filming, five weeks early.
Yet, what’s new? Just a year ago, touring New Zealand with Waiting for Godot, I had expected to start shooting in July 2010, with Guillermo del Toro in charge. I was staying at his spare house on Breaker Bay, close to the Jackson compound. There he told me why he was abandoning Middle Earth, as Warner Brothers and MGM got perilously close to postponing The Hobbit forever and he worried about his commitments to other work. So my plan to jump straight from Beckett to Tolkien had to be abandoned and I flew home for a prolonged break.
A year on, filming was to start at the end of February 2011. I curtailed a holiday in India to make sure I would be on time.
Then, while I was away, Peter Jackson had his stomach operation. The insurance company has insisted on five weeks recuperation. Which is why, yet again, I¹m here early. Waiting for Bilbo.
I was hoping to see Peter up and kicking at the party Philippa Boyens threw last week for the actors and again the following day, when Graham Mactavish and Gwen had a house-warming party in their garden and house overlooking the Wellington harbour. No luck: but there were many others to say hello to; beginning with 13 dwarves.
To be continued.”
The BBQ invite list for Sir Ian in Aotearoa, must be hotter than the Royal Wedding RSVP invites updates list right now in the UK. He’s a bit of big star in NZ.
[Sir Ian's pic appears courtesy of The Charlie Rose show]
~Posted by Horiwood.Com, Hollywood California, USA. 2.24.11~